Google and the US Department of Justice wrap up closing arguments on whether the search engine is a monopoly | India bloomers

Washington/IBNS: US multinational technology company Google and the US Department of Justice on Friday (May 3) delivered final arguments over claims that Alphabet, Google’s parent company, unlawfully dominated internet searches and related advertising, in one case the US government says it could determine the “future of the internet.”

According to reports, the fate of Google’s search business now rests in the hands of U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta, who will now prepare for a major decision on whether the tech giant’s conduct violates civil antitrust law.

However, the judge did not indicate when he would make a ruling, but experts say he could possibly order changes to Google’s business operations.

The U.S. Department of Justice and prosecutors wrapped up their closing arguments Thursday on Google’s alleged anticompetitive behavior in the general search market, and on Friday arguments focused on the company’s allegedly illegal behavior in search advertising, reports The Comp.

Meanwhile, Google also came under fire in a separate case for failing to preserve chat messages that the Department of Justice (DoJ) believes could have been relevant to the case.

On Friday, Washington District Judge Amit Mehta questioned both sides for hours, examining whether competing platforms such as Meta’s Facebook and Instagram and ByteDance’s TikTok are competitive substitutes for search advertising dollars.

According to Reuters, District Judge Mehta said a central issue was the “substitutability” of platforms for advertisers, which the court must resolve.

The judge also questioned whether Google reviews competitors’ prices before making its own adjustments, since the multinational technology company’s advertising business is responsible for about three-quarters of its revenue.

Meanwhile, the DoJ has railed against Google, claiming the search engine giant is a monopolist that has illegally abused its power to increase profits.

The case began in October 2020 after the DoJ, along with 11 state attorneys general, filed a civil antitrust lawsuit against Google to prevent Google from unlawfully maintaining monopolies in the search and search advertising markets.

Later in December, three more states joined the lawsuit against the tech giant.

The trial in the case started on September 12 last year.